31 May 2009

Some New Shinies

So, prac is over, huzzah. I enjoyed it immensely, but I'm glad it's over. It was exhausting. Intense.

And now I head into what is going to be the busiest week of the year for me, in which I have six uni assignments due that I've bared started due to being on prac, and am returning to working 1.5 days per week and attending classes. Oh fun.

In compensation O:) I was very Bad and bought myself some books on Friday: The Awake, by Glenda Larke, Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher, and Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover, by Ally Carter. Much excitementness :)

And then I was extra naughty and spent far too long today reading the Glenda Larke one - which, I must say, was actually really good. It's a random one I picked up after seeing it in the stores a few weeks ago. Larke is an Australian author, which often means nothing but sometimes means the work will be somewhat parochial, and I hadn't read her before - but I was pleasantly surprised. I picked up the book more to test out the voice of the novel (written in first person) than anything; I wanted a quick happy read, and what I was really craving was the new Lisa Shearin book, but that's not available in Aus. So Larke was my fall-back, to see if it would be any good - and I'm pleased to say it was. It's not as immediately action-packed, and it didn't hook me right away - I mean, it was good, but not unputdownable - but the further I went the better it got, which is always great :o) And it ended with a bang, and in a most satisfying manner, leaving me rather desperate for the other two books in the series :D So I must say Larke's done well :)

The Jim Butcher I expect will be fabulous, and I'm trying desperately to resist the temptation to pick it up and devour it; in fact, ditto the Ally Carter, which is the new one out in her Gallagher Girls series which both I and the mini sis love :)

So yes. Some exciting reading happening - or not happening, in fact, as I poke listlessly at homework instead *wrinkles nose*

Anyway. Better get back to it, I suppose. :)

3 comments:

Nayuleska said...

Very shiny indeed! *glares at P&P charges from online bookstores* They'd make so much money if they released books in Auz same time as they do in Europe & US...

Lynnette Labelle said...

Of course you can do it. Now get back to work! ;)

Lynnette Labelle

http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Amy Laurens said...

Yuna - yeah, I know. And P&P charges suck \:|

Lynnette - hello! Thanks so much for commenting! :) It's always nice to see new commenting faces :o) Thanks for you encouragement. I shall indeed get back to work, right now %-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...