03 November 2010

Intelligent People

You know, for a bunch of relatively intelligent people, we writers have to learn the same lessons over and over and over again a lot of times.

Or maybe that's just me.

Remember, those of you that were with me then, last September when I decided to take the pressure off myself and just write what I wanted when I wanted? And how that had an unexpected upturn in productivity?

Remember this year, my lamentations over how many months I've had 'terrible' word counts? Five months under my self-imposed 10k goal, one of which is the worst on record since July '07, only three months after I started keeping records. Yeah, I've been feeling pretty down on myself at time.

BUT!

Don't you love it when there's a but? I do :o)

BUT. I realised something yesterday, in preparing for Nano: my pre-Nano word count was only a hair shy of 120k for the year. That means if I make nano, I'll be at 170k. That's my second best year in the four I've kept records for!

Second best!

!

So, you know, when intelligent people say you should really slow down, take your time, and enjoy writing - they actually know what they're talking about. One day, I'll remember that.

6 comments:

Nayuleska said...

Taking time to write is true. We're all different, work at different paces. It's something I'm learning lately.

Anonymous said...

how was the english oral

amy said...

i just read shoe nd ebven though i am 13 i love it! i can imagine you dancing! i have a good guess of where you work!

you work @ [redacted] and you have a girl named amy and holly in your class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy Laurens said...

:P Welcome, girlies. Please try to avoid mentioning school names etc - thanks :)

Amy - I'm really glad you liked Shoe :o) Have you ever read the original fairy tale?

Anon - the orals are going well, thank :P ;)

Amy Laurens said...

Oh, and Nayu - sorry to ignore you :D - yeah, I think there are a bunch of us learning this at the moment. Which is good, but boy it's a hard lesson to learn!! :S

Nayuleska said...

But at least we are learning it now :) It's never to late to learn something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...