30 January 2012

Guest Post: Late-Night Creativity

Followers,

Tonight I interrupt your usual inkfever update to bring you trivial musings of a more sinister nature. Well actually, I have just been permitted to guest blog whilst Amy is hatching her young. That may not sound too sinister, but who knows? If followers are lost as a result of this blog, it may be. For me.

I dabble at song-writing. And silver-smithing, saxophone, hiking, staying up past 10pm, cooking edible food... the list goes on. Song-writing is the most unintentional activity on that list. I suffer from late-night creativity. Whilst there appears to be no cure for this, mitigating therapy includes keeping pens, paper, torches and my mobile phone (for voice recording) next to my bed just in case. So far, I think writing in my sleep can be categorised as follows:
- Music I have clearly stolen from something heard earlier that day
- Music that sounded great when I was tired
- Music that makes no sense whatsoever (or is illegible)
- Music that I actually like the next morning
The first category is what I dread most. Luckily for me, I am now usually writing in the fourth category.

My other most productive places for writing are in the shower or driving long distance in the car. Neither are what I would call convenient.

I have tried making myself write when I feel like it. This has not been successful. It usually sounds forced or loses its voice within a couple of lines. I just don't have life-experience to draw inspiration from. I live a happily sheltered life. I still get ideas from bad moods, and especially from emotive books, but somehow being distracted is the key to letting it all play out.

My favourite song (at the moment) is 'Moth to the Flame' - featuring themes from 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall', nonsense talk from my cousin about Leonardo DiCaprio's character and the general story of a girl's infatuation with a man who is no good.

I hope you like it.


'Moth to the Flame'
Copyright Rebecca Stohr 2011

A tragic star dawns on the horizon, captivating the heart of a girl. An altogether, beautiful disaster.
A charming man is always forgiven, blinding better judgement again.
You say it like you mean it, but girl I'm pretty sure
Moth to the flame
Moth to the flame

Little moth, what are you trying to do?
Give it up, it's been far too long
You say it like you mean it, but girl I'm pretty sure
You cannot save that soul who needs redemption.

Perhaps it's true, you've lost all your senses. Crawling back when he calls for you.
He's not repentant, just a lonely people user.
Only a fool is jealous of God, for all the time you spend praying for him.
You say it like you mean it, but girl I'm pretty sure
Moth to the flame
Moth to the flame

Little moth, what are you trying to do?
Give it up, it's been far too long
You say it like you mean it, but girl I'm pretty sure
You cannot save that soul who needs redemption.

I think I'm talking reason to you honey. Wo-oe. And still, you always say
"O-o-oh let me away from here - I will be his cure.
I will fall to the arms of love so I may be there when he stumbles"

You say it like you mean it, but girl I'm pretty sure
Moth to the flame
Moth to the flame...


No idea where my musical journey is headed from here. An amazing friend bought me some studio time for my birthday. That should be enough to produce a couple of demo tracks. Alternatively, I will have to plan for many long showers, road-trips and late nights =D

Bec

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...